A Humble Abode, yet Marvelous Faith.

Monday, October 27, 2014

This week was quite interesting. By interesting I mean that tons of stuff happened, yet I have no idea what to write about. One thing I know I want to write about is our lunch on Saturday, so I guess I´ll start with that.

My Dad told me before I left that I would probably teach people who live in houses smaller than my bedroom. This week was the first time that happened. We went to eat lunch at Hermana Simona´s house (a convert of 5 years) in Rancho Blanco. A long bus ride and a twenty minute walk on a dirt road past huge paintball and motorcross arenas and we arrived.

Hna Simona lives with her granddaughter and, if I understood right, her daughter too. Her property was about the size of a half court in basketball. Her house is in one corner and there´s an outhouse in the other. Her house is a square concrete shack with one window and a door. Inside there´s just enough room for bunkbeds, a table and chairs, a fridge and a stove. She had a pile of books (mostly church books) and a few shelves with plates and stuff like that. She had almost nothing, but she still made us a three course meal with soup, taquitos, and jello, enough to fill up four hungry missionaries.

We felt bad that she had made us so much food, but she seemed so greatful to have us there. After eating she asked us to pray for her house because they´re planning on building a new road through it. We sang her favorite hymn, "Count your Blessings", shared a scripture and prayed. This was truly a humbling experience. This sister had not given us much, but compared to what she had, it was a ton. It reminded me of Mark 12:41-44. She had really given us "all that she had, even all of her living". We know she will be blessed greatly for having endured this her whole life and remaining faithful. She has truly been blessed with humility, something I need to work hard to have, and still lack. My faith grew much stronger as she counted her blessings with great faith. This humbling experience only lasted a few minutes, and a short bus ride brought us back to passing Audi, Mercedes, and Cadillac dealerships. Yet I won´t be forgetting it any time soon.

Hermana Simona´s birthday is this week, so we bought her a scarf and gloves and the Relief Society president is getting a cake. Other than that experience, I don´t have much to tell. It was a great week. We had some great experiences and learned a lot. We could see the Lord´s hand in our lives daily. We have all been blessed so abundantly. We need to count those blessings. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of his children and blesses them individually and in different ways, but he blesses us all. Whatever trials we are going through, Jesus Christ has felt the burden. He can take the burden upon him. He is reaching out daily to help us (2 Nephi 28:32). We just need to accept his aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment